News from past year
« Previous | 51–75 of 110 items | Next »
- Fishin' Buddies App Connects Chicago Youth With Nature
- Nathan Woodside, Jun 17, 2013
- Fishin’ Buddies, a non-profit organization dedicated to introducing urban children to the outdoors through conservation and environmental education programs was awarded $49,000 through the Illinois Broadband Innovation fund to further its mission through mobile technology.
- Summit to Demonstrate Next-Gen, Gigabit Applications
- Roxana Ryan, Jun 13, 2013
- SPRINGFIELD, Illinois, JUNE 13, 2013 – You’ve heard all the talk about gigabit networks, but what can we actually do with all that speed? Find out at the US Ignite Application Summit.
- Newsletter: ConnectED Announced, Taylorville Fiber To The Home, More
- Jun 12, 2013
- ConnectED Announced, Taylorville Fiber To The Home, Warren County Virtual Museum, more
- MTC Communications Boosts Agriculture Education at WIU
- Nathan Woodside, Jun 11, 2013
- Learning capabilities at Western Illinois University’s School of Agriculture has received a major boost thanks to MTC Communications.
- Broadband in the News: Lt. Governor expands virtual legal clinic
- Annie Thompson, Jun 10, 2013
- CARBONDALE – May 24, 2013. Lt. Governor Sheila Simon announced the expansion of her virtual legal clinic program to The Cairo Women’s Shelter today. The program connects survivors of domestic violence with lawyers for a free legal consultation using webcams and high-speed Internet technology.
- Fiber to the Home Coming to Taylorville
- Nathan Woodside, Jun 5, 2013
- Installation of a fiber to the home network with some of the highest capable speeds in the nation will begin later this month in Taylorville.
- Warren County Virtual Museum to Merge History, Technology, Community
- Nathan Woodside, Jun 3, 2013
- Technology, history and education will converge in Monmouth with the creation of the Warren County Virtual Museum, powered by an open-source web application.
- Inaugural Broadband Telemedicine Summit Convenes Top Healthcare Technology Authorities
- Nathan Woodside, May 29, 2013
- Broadband Illinois convened the inaugural Broadband Telemedicine Summit on Monday, May 20, bringing together healthcare leaders, government officials and broadband enthusiasts from three states to discuss how high-speed internet is revolutionizing the medical industry.
- Tri-County Regional Planning Commission Holds Broadband Adoption Seminars
- Nathan Woodside, May 29, 2013
- Through the Illinois Broadband Innovation Fund, a grant administered by Broadband Illinois, the Tri-County Regional Planning Commission conducted 12 seminars last week aimed at using high-speed internet to boost business.
- Comcast Activates Nearly 100 WiFi Hotspots in Springfield
- May 24, 2013
- Comcast this week announced it has activated nearly 100 Wifi hotspots around the city of Springfield.
- Newsletter: Study Examines Usage, PrairieSpark E-Hub Launches, and More
- May 6, 2013
- In a multi-faceted survey released earlier this month by Broadband Illinois, Illinois households rated fiber-optic internet connections highest in terms of speed, reliability and value. However, households in rural and isolated areas of Illinois are almost four times as likely to have a dial-up connection.
- NTIA: State Broadband Initiatives Need To Demonstrate Value of Mapping, Planning Efforts
- Roxana Ryan, May 2, 2013
- Demonstrating the importance of broadband planning and mapping at the statewide and local levels is the key priority for the the remaining 18 months of the state broadband initiative program, said Larry Strickling, Assistant Secretary of the National Telecommunication and Information Administration (NTIA).
- Expert Panel to Discuss Healthcare Needs and Challenges at Broadband Telemedicine Summit
- Nathan Woodside, Apr 26, 2013
- The opening panel of the Broadband Telemedicine Summit, set for May 20 in St. Louis, Mo., will feature experts who will discuss healthcare needs and challenges faced in the advancement and adoption of telemedicine.
- Survey of Illinois Households Examines Broadband Usage, Benefits, Barriers
- Roxana Ryan, Apr 22, 2013
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois, April 22, 2013 – In a multi-faceted survey released earlier this month by Broadband Illinois, Illinois households rated fiber-optic internet connections highest in terms of speed, reliability and value. However, households in rural and isolated areas of Illinois are almost four times as likely to have a dial-up connection.
- UC2B Director Gant: Libraries Vital to Adoption, Usage in Gigabit Cities
- Nathan Woodside, Apr 19, 2013
- Dr. Jon Gant, Director of the UC2B Broadband Adoption Program at the University of Illinois, called on libraries in gigabit cities to lead the way in public ultra-high speed adoption.
- University of Chicago, Gigabit Squared Partnership Highlighted at Broadband Communities Summit
- Nathan Woodside, Apr 16, 2013
- An initiative to establish a gigabit-speed network in south side Chicago neighborhoods was featured as an Illinois success story in the making Tuesday during the annual Broadband Communities Summit in Dallas, Texas.
- Last Day for Earlybird Registration, Lowery Confirmed as Keynote Speaker, Bluebird is Major Sponsor
- Nathan Woodside, Apr 15, 2013
Organizers of the inaugural Broadband Telemedicine Summit are reminding potential guests that today, Monday, April 15, is the final day to register under the discounted earlybird rate of $50.
- New Report Highlights Broadband Utilization in Illinois Regions, Industry Sectors
- Roxana Ryan, Apr 15, 2013
Regional differences in broadband usage prevail in Illinois commercial businesses and public organizations, and public libraries are filling the gap by providing Wi-Fi access and one-on-one digital literacy trainings, according to a new report released by Broadband Illinois.
- Governor Quinn Proclaims “Innovation Day” in Illinois
- Apr 12, 2013
- Governor Pat Quinn proclaimed today “Innovation Day” in Illinois while hosting an annual innovation forum at the Executive Mansion. Today’s action is part of Governor Quinn’s agenda to foster innovation and drive Illinois’ economy forward. Innovation Day brings together the Illinois Science & Technology Coalition (ISTC), the Illinois Innovation Council and members of the General Assembly to discuss the state’s progress in today’s growing innovation marketplace.
- Report: High-Speed Internet Key for Job Creation, Economic Development
- Roxana Ryan, Apr 8, 2013
Illinois businesses view high-speed internet as a source of job creation, an important way to present themselves to the world and as a way to improve internal operations, according to a multi-faceted research report released today by Broadband Illinois.
- April Newsletter: Discounted Earlybird Rates for Broadband Telemedicine Summit, More
- Apr 5, 2013
- Organizers of the inaugural Broadband Telemedicine Summit today announced more affordable categories of pricing tiers and robust additions to the event’s agenda.
- Better Broadband, Better Lifeline Pilot Program Launched This Week
- Apr 3, 2013
- Illinois is the site of a pioneering federal pilot project that will supply qualifying customers of seven rural Illinois phone companies with a refurbished computer for $50 and a year’s worth of high-speed Internet access for as low as $9.95 a month, consumer advocates and telecommunications companies announced Tuesday.
- New Online Tool Attracts Entrepreneurs to SouthEast Central Illinois
- Roxana Ryan, Apr 3, 2013
PrairieSpark Hub website to offer free business resources, maps and youth materials
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois, APRIL 3, 2013 -- Entrepreneurs in Central Illinois will soon have access to an online resource with information on how to start, market and find the best location for their business.
- Earlybird Registration Available for Broadband Telemedicine Summit
- Roxana Ryan, Apr 1, 2013
- SPRINGFIELD, Illinois, April 1, 2013 – Organizers of the inaugural Broadband Telemedicine Summit today announced more affordable categories of pricing tiers and robust additions to the event’s agenda.
Participants who register for the summit before April 15 are eligible for an early bird rate of $50. Discounts for students and public interest organizations are also available.
- FCC Workshop Panelists: Public and Private Partnerships Vital to Fiber Initiatives
- Nathan Woodside, Mar 28, 2013
- WASHINGTON, D.C. - March 27, 2013 - The Illinois Gigabit Communities Challenge, along with similar initiatives, was cited as a key to keeping the United States competitive in the global economic market Wednesday during a workshop held by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in Washington, D.C.
« Previous | 51–75 of 110 items | Next »