News from past year
« Previous | 26–50 of 112 items | Next »
- Gov. Quinn Awards $1.5 Million to Carbondale Area as Part of Gigabit Communities Challenge
- Nathan Woodside, Aug 26, 2013
- Gov. Pat Quinn announced on Friday that the Carbondale area will receive a $1.5 million boost to build an ultra high-speed broadband infrastructure.
- Provider Spotlight: iTV-3 Expanding Fiber to the Home Service in Central Illinois
- Nathan Woodside, Aug 22, 2013
- It’s no secret that the rising popularity in home video streaming has taken a piece of the home entertainment pie from video retail stores. But Family Video, a central Illinois based video rental chain, isn’t fighting the tides of technology – it’s embracing it.
- New Project to Study Economic, Social Impact of Illinois Century Network
- Roxana Ryan, Aug 20, 2013
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois, August 20, 2013 – Evaluating the economic and social impacts of the Illinois Century Network are among the objectives of a Request for Proposals released today by Partnership for a Connected Illinois.
- AT&T Invests Nearly $625 Million in Illinois Wireless and Wireline Networks
- AT&T Press Release, Aug 13, 2013
- In the first half of 2013, AT&T invested nearly $625 million in its wireless and wired networks in Illinois. The investments included deployment of new macro cell sites, small cells and Distributed Antenna Systems across the state as a part of AT&T’s Project Velocity IP, a three-year investment plan announced last fall to expand and enhance its IP broadband networks. The company also expanded and enhanced its 4G LTE** network, which provides ultra-fast mobile Internet speeds, and deployed new Wi-Fi hot spots.
- Macomb Food Co-op Launches Online Marketplace
- Rich Egger, Tri States Public Radio, Aug 8, 2013
The Macomb Food Co-op plans to soon offer locally produced meats, eggs, and produce through an on-line market.
“We will be offering this service in September, hopefully. It takes six to eight weeks to get the whole system up and running,” said Jean Davenport, Macomb Food Co-op Outreach Coordinator and Americorps VISTA Volunteer through the Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs.
- PCI Seeking Candidates for New Executive Director
- Nathan Woodside, Aug 8, 2013
- Partnership for a Connected Illinois (PCI), the state’s broadband initiative, is searching for a new executive director to lead the nonprofit high-speed internet advocacy group into the future.
- UC2B Network Set To Create New Nonprofit Agency, Expand Community Buildout
- Roxana Ryan, Aug 1, 2013
- CHAMPAIGN, Illinois, July 30, 2013 -- Planned changes in the Urbana-Champaign Big Broadband network (UC2B) will allow for expansion to more homes and lessen the potential burden on local taxpayers, according to city and university representatives.
- Thomasboro residents turn out to hear about new broadband offerings
- Rantoul Press, Jul 31, 2013
THOMASBORO — Volo Broadband hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony and public demonstration for its Digital Water fiber broadband services Saturday afternoon at Thomasboro Fire Stations
- USDA Rural Development Offers Information on Statewide Grant Opportunities
- Nathan Wooodside, Jul 30, 2013
- Representatives from USDA Rural Development on Wednesday convened a round-table discussion to spread the word about various broadband and telecommunication grant opportunities.
- Drew Clark to Step Down as Broadband Illinois Executive Director, Housewright Named Interim
- Jul 26, 2013
- The Partnership for a Connected Illinois announced today that Drew Clark, Executive Director of the non-profit State Broadband Initiative entity in the Land of Lincoln for the past three and a half years, will resign effective August 1, 2013.
- FirstNet Discussed at First Alcatel-Lucent Public Safety Seminar
- Nathan Woodside, Jul 22, 2013
- Alcatel-Lucent on Thursday held the first in a series of seminars to help educate providers, partners and stakeholders on FirstNet, NTIA’s nationwide campaign to improve communication technology for public safety services.
- Rural Illinois Clinic Starts Telepractice Program, Offers Community Services
- Roxana Ryan, Jul 17, 2013
- NEWTON, Illinois, July 17, 2013 -- Children with special needs in Southeast Central Illinois now have access to better care thanks to a high-speed internet connection and an innovative speech language pathologist.
- Eureka College Upgrading Internet Connection
- Cheryl Wolfe, Jul 15, 2013
- EUREKA — When Eureka College students return to campus in August, they’ll find broadband Internet as they start to hit the books.
- Alcatel-Lucent Events to Explore FirstNet, Cloud Technology
- Nathan Woodside, Jul 11, 2013
- FirstNet and the transition into what’s being called the Personal Cloud Era is the focus of two events led by Alcatel-Lucent July 17 and 18 in Naperville.
- New Broadband Illinois Report Examines High-Speed Pricing Across State
- Nathan Woodside, Jul 10, 2013
A new report from Broadband Illinois sheds new light on how prices of residential broadband vary across different speed tiers and geographic locations through Illinois. The 37-page report analyzes the pricing for various broadband speed options and subscription plans across Illinois during the May 2013 timeframe.
- Discount Extended for Broadband Communities Conference in Chicagoland
- Roxana Ryan, Jul 9, 2013
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois, July 9, 2013 – Time is running out to save on registration costs for the upcoming Broadband Communities Economic Development Regional Conference in Chicagoland on November 5-7, 2013.
- Broadband Illinois Launches New Regional Website for Communities, Stakeholders
- Roxana Ryan, Jul 8, 2013
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois, July 8, 2013 -- Regional updates on the latest broadband news, events, maps and demographic information are all part of a revamped website, announced today by Broadband Illinois.
- Newsletter: Broadband Communities Comes to Chicagoland, IllinoisWiFi App, more
- Jul 8, 2013
- Broadband Illinois newsletter for Monday, July 8
- IllinoisWiFi App to be Discussed at Digital Advocacy Webinar
- Nathan Woodside, Jul 3, 2013
- Details on a new Broadband Illinois mobile application that will help users locate public Wi-Fi hotspots in Illinois will be divulged for the first time during a webinar Tuesday.
- US Ignite Summit Demos Next-Gen Applications, Convenes Tech and Community Leaders
- Roxana Ryan, Jul 3, 2013
CHICAGO, July 3, 2013 – The future of the internet isn’t just another social network or addicting game. It’s about making our society better, safer, smarter and more productive with next-generation applications running on ultra-fast gigabit connections.
- Community Connect Grant Application Deadline Nears
- Nathan Woodside, Jul 2, 2013
- The application deadline for a grant opportunity to establish broadband internet availability in underserved rural areas is quickly approaching.
- Broadband Communities Regional Conference Comes to Chicagoland
- Roxana Ryan, Jul 1, 2013
- SPRINGFIELD, Illinois, July 1, 2013 -- Broadband has played a key role in the innovation-driven economic rebound in Illinois and the role of high-speed internet will be front and center at an upcoming event on economic development in Chicagoland.
- Southland Fiber-Optic Project Moves Ahead
- Southtown Star, Jun 28, 2013
- Faster communication and more bandwidth that could benefit Southland communities, schools and libraries are envisioned as the next phase of fiber-optic cable installation gets under way.
- Escape Locally Website Promotes Local Tourism, Services, Business
- Roxana Ryan, Jun 23, 2013
Booking an all-inclusive weekend getaway complete with hiking, wine tasting, luxury cabins and family fun is easier (and closer) than you think thanks to a new local tourism website created by a Carbondale man.
- Ag Students Embrace New Broadband Technologies
- Nathan Woodside, Jun 19, 2013
- The face of agriculture is changing with the advancement of internet technology, and Illinois' future farmers appear to be more than willing to embrace it.
« Previous | 26–50 of 112 items | Next »